Thursday 17 July 2014

Book Review: Gone Girl


ISBN10: 1780221355

Author: Gillian Flynn

Pages  : 480 pages 

Phoenix, 2012


I watched the Bollywood flick Race, starring the likes of Saif Ali Khan, Akshay Khanna, Bipasha Basu and Katrina Kaif, some good 4-5 years back and loved it. The movie released in a rather unassuming low profile manner but was received well by the viewers. The primary reason why I loved the movie was that it was a festival of twists and
turns in the plot! Practically every 10 minutes into the movie the story jolts you with a unbelievably believable shocker. It was one of those stories where you couldn't go back home and tell someone the story because whatever little you tell would be a spoiler. Since the movie I've hardly read a novel that left me as baffled as this.Enter, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.
Though I try to keep my reading palette fairly balanced, if you've read more of my posts here, you would know how much of a sucker I am for thrillers and mysteries. So, as a part of my online research on what-to-read-next I'd come across some real rave reviews about this book on the Booktubers' community. From all the reviews the book sounded promising. But none of the reviews were giving out much of the story and I couldn't figure out why, up until I read it myself.
This is one those books which you must read knowing absolutely nothing about it. But, show a little patience with the book. If you are the kind who judge a book based on its first 10-20 pages, you might want to hold up until atleast Part 1: Boy loses Girl before you judge this book. The book takes us through the marriage between Nick Dunne and Amy Elliot Dunne in their individual points of view. Still sticking with my no-spoilers rule, not much can be said about the book. But, I shall tell you this: this story is about highly dysfunctional relationships. And though this could a saga of dysfunctional relationships, it is still about extreme commitment.
This book could be THE psychological thriller of the year, being skillfully written with finesse separating the narratives of the characters Nick and Amy(s) from one another. The story fares better as it is written in this 'He-said, She-said' mode. The brilliantly paced (after the first part, that is) book has everything to hook your nerves at the right time, in the right place.
Another reason why you would want to read the book ASAP is that the book has been made into a motion picture. The movie is directed by, one of my favorites, David Fincher and has the very delectable Ben Affleck playing Nick Dunne. Personally, reading the book, unlike ever, I do not have a favorite character in here. But just because Nick Dunne had Ben Affleck's face earned him some brownie points for me. For those interested here's the trailer of the movie set to release in October.




Rating : 4/5

Verdict: Discerningly dark and chilling, this psychological thriller deserves to made into a movie. But before the movie hits the screens you might want to read it. Defintely read it once to join the 'I -know-what-happened'club. Totally worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment